Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Paradox and Olympics

The Story of You, Part 2.

Jay K.


Ep.12 Paradox and Olympics


As you guys know, 2008 Beijing Olympics kicked off last Friday (08/08/08). Yes, it is getting crazy here. Chinese people waited for 7 years since IOC announced the host country of 2008 Olympics. Since then so many new stadiums were built, so many new roads were built, so many volunteers volunteered and so on. The Chinese government tried hard to clean the air in Beijing, and I think it is successful.

I watched the opening ceremony on TV like you guys. Some people went out to watch it on the streets. I didn’t want to do that, partly because I was lazy and partly because I feared the terrorist attack or something like that. Two bombing attacks happened in Xinjiang (the far western part of China). One American tourist got stabbed in Beijing. Fortunately, nothing happened on the night of the opening ceremony. Beijing is supposed to be the safest place in China. I believe that too, but still anything can happen nowadays.


[The Olympic Boxing Stadium (Worker's Gymnasium)]





The opening ceremony was grand and beautiful. It was fantastic and fabulous. No more adjectives are necessary to describe it. One World One Dream. Everyone was so happy and excited, it seemed like the world was really becoming one. However, at the same time, Russia was invading Georgia (the country located next to Turkey). Tibetan protesters were silently removed by the government. Watching the glorious torch lighting ceremony, we shouldn’t forget numerous protests and conflicts around the world that were caused by the torch relay.

I am not just criticizing China or any other country. I am criticizing us. I don’t like nationalism, because it can bring bloody outcomes. However, when I watch the Olympic games, I am busy cheering for Korea. I am also very nationalistic; I have to admit that. Olympics is the occasion that the world come together and become one, also it is the event that every country compete with each other. How paradoxical is it?






I went to the Olympic boxing game on Sunday. It was an awesome experience. Although I am not a boxing fan, just watching the Olympic game was fun. It was fun to watch people from all over the world: Americans, Irish, Russians, Swedish, and more.



[I didn't go to swimming game, but my friend did and he took my camera]

[He is a Korean swimmer, who won the first gold medal in swimming as a Korean]

[That Korean swimmer also won the silver medal in 200m and of course Michael Phelps got the gold medal]

[Michael Phelps]

[President Bush singing national anthem]



[Watercube]

[USA, China, and Korea]



[Olympic Archery Field]


At the moment, I am very excited. I just came back from the Olympic archery game. I watched the men’s team semifinal and final match. Korea won the gold medal! I was so happy to witness that. It was a close game against Italy. It wasn’t also easy to win against China in the semifinal. But, Korea did it. I know, I am being nationalistic, but hey, I am so happy. I sung Korean national anthem during the medal ceremony with many other Koreans. Over the last four years, I heard America’s national anthem so many times, but never sung it. I never had a chance to sing Korean national anthem in the States. No wonder I was so moved when I sung Korean national anthem.

[face painting]







[Korean crowd in the archery field]







Anyway, all day I am watching Olympic Games on TV. The whole city of Beijing is full of Olympic spirits. Everyone’s busy talking about who got the gold medal and who didn’t. I just want to remember that other things are still going on at this moment. I guess the world is still too large to become one. I hope one day we can.







[yes, I love my counry. I am nationalistic]



Next week is the last week of the summer program. I don’t think my Chinese got improved much during this summer language intensive program. Nonetheless, I learned a lot about China. I think now I am ready to study here for a year. I am actually looking forward for it.


I think that this post is too unorganized and paradoxical, but I guess we are paradoxical animals.

1 comment:

mkim42 said...

This is an amazing post with pictures....

and I agree--nationalism has a history of being manipulated into something that harms rather than helps.

stupid nationalism.